Hello, I’m Anjali and I’m obsessed with vegan travel and vegan food.
I’ve been vegan now for several years, having first gone vegetarian when I was seven years old, and vegan at the age of almost 22, after visiting an animal market in Ecuador.
Naturally, the discovery of new and delicious vegan food at new and delicious destinations is going to be a big part of my journey. (I also expect to be taking lots of pictures of the aforementioned delicious vegan food along the way!)
Before I get started on my travels, I wanted to share with you guys some of my favorite resources for finding vegan food on the road. If you have any suggestions on anything I’ve missed, please let me know in the comments below!
1. HappyCow.net: Happy Cow is the quintessential resource for finding vegan food in new destinations. It is a site that has been around for a long time, and has a neat filter feature where you can tell it if you are looking for vegan food, vegetarian food, veg-friendly restaurants or even health food stores. The site has grown a lot over the past several years, as the vegan community has continued to grow, and it’s my go-to resource when I’m in a new place and looking for awesome vegan food! Happy Cow also has a perfect app, with a cute little cow face(!) in the app store.
2. Is It Vegan?: Is It Vegan? is the best thing to happen to vegans since steamed kale (get it…not sliced bread…because…oh, never mind). This app allows you to scan the bar code of any food and it tells you, well, whether it’s vegan! Although it has a bit of a different focus than Happy Cow, it’s still perfect for vegan travel – because, let’s face it, while traveling, you will be in destinations where you don’t have your favorite grocery store right down the block and you might come across some new products. Is It Vegan will help you quickly and easily make sure they’re vegan!
3. Bunny Free: Okay, so this one’s not about food, but it’s still an important one to add to the list! Bunny Free is kind of like “Is It Vegan?” but for beauty products! Bunny Free will tell you if a product uses animal ingredients and/or if it’s tested on animals. I think this is another must-have when you are out for vegan travel, as buying beauty products can be a challenge for vegans anywhere! It’s a great app to have with you in unfamiliar destinations, when shopping for new products!
4. VeganXpress: Sure, we’d all like to be able to visit local restaurants, farmers’ markets and the perfect small business when we’re traveling, but let’s face it: sometimes that doesn’t happen. VeganXpress is for exactly those times! This nifty app tells you what is vegan at popular fast food and chain restaurants for those times when you don’t have any other options. I’ve used it for a while (Hello, Taco Bell) and I think it’s great – especially for new vegans – when visiting old faithfuls.
5. Roaming Hunger: Not only do I love the name of this app, I also love its purpose! Did someone say “vegan food truck?” This app helps you find vegan food trucks across the country – because sometimes, it’s way more fun to eat in a food truck! Perfect for when you want to experience something new in a fun and exciting way.
These are my favorite resources so far – but if I’m missing any great ones, please let me know in the comments below! And I hope you check some of them out the next time you get going on your own vegan travel!