I’m stressed out.
You’d think, having just decided to travel the world full-time, I’d be feeling really good. And mostly, I am. I think it’s the right decision for me, I’m glad I made it, and I’m excited to see where this new journey will take me.
I’m also stressed the FUCK out. What am I stressed about? Well, leaving a full-time, well-paid career is, in some ways, a completely bonehead move.
And you don’t often hear about that when you hear about full-time travel. Mostly, you hear about how great it is and how free and how you can make money on the road.
So, in the interest of keeping things honest, as I’ve promised I would do, I want to share just some of the things I’m currently stressed out about:
1. I’m stressed that I won’t make any money.
2. I’m stressed that my car will break down somewhere in the middle of Texas and my puppy and I will be stranded.
3. I’m stressed that I’ll hate full-time travel.
4. I’m stressed that I’ll love full-time travel, but then I won’t make enough money and I’ll have to come back and get a full-time office job and be miserable again. (Do you see how I can even add the stresses together to make a brand new one?)
5. I’m stressed that traveling with Holly is going to be much, much harder than I’ve planned for.
6. I’m stressed that all my friends will forget about me.
7. I’m stressed that instead of making a brave decision to find my happiness, I’m just making a really dumb and immature one and running away.
8. I’m stressed that there won’t be WiFi in places I travel and I won’t be able to work. And that my hotspot won’t work because my service will be awful.
9. I’m stressed that everyone I meet on the road will hate me.
10. I’m stressed that my law degree is going to waste.
And that’s, as I mentioned, just a small PART of the list.
Now, do I still think it was and is the right decision despite all this stress? Absolutely. I know my emotions will go in waves, and I’ve already made my peace with that. Importantly, underlying all of this stress, I still want to do it, and I know I’m going to have to work really hard to make any of my dreams come true. I’m okay with that.
I also still know I’m incredibly, incredibly lucky to be able to even attempt to do this, in any capacity, and reminding myself of that is helping me stop be such a little whiner and keep moving forward.
There will be stress.
And it will be hard at times.
And I’ll make it work anyway.
As always, to life!